The Royal House now states that all children must be able to feel safe at Herlufsholm boarding school.
»There are many who ask about the Crown Prince Couple’s attitude to their children’s future at Herlufsholm. I can only repeat that for the Crown Prince and Crown Princess it is crucial that not only their own child, but all the children and young people who go to school, can feel safe in their schooling, «says the Royal House’s communications manager Lene Balleby to TV2.dk.
There has been much debate about Prince Christian – and soon also Princess Isabella’s – school, since the TV 2 documentary ‘Herlufsholm’s secrets’ recently focused on a culture of violence and bullying among students at Denmark’s most famous boarding school.
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary have not yet made a public decision on whether their children should continue to go to school, but stated in a joint comment on the Royal House’s social media:
Princess Isabella, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary pose for photography after Princess Isabella has been confirmed in Fredensborg Castle Church in Fredensborg, Saturday 30 April 2022 .. (Photo: Philip Davali / Ritzau Scanpix)
Photo: Philip Davali
“As parents, we expect the school to effectively ensure a culture where everyone is safe and part of the community, and we will in the coming time follow the changes that are obviously necessary,” it read, among other things.
16-year-old Prince Christian started in 1st grade at Herlufsholm last summer, just as his little sister Princess Isabella is set to start in 9th grade at school after the summer holidays.
Previously, their cousin Prince Nikolai went to Herlufsholm boarding school, and TV 2’s documentary initially made his mother, Countess Alexandra, report the following to BT:
“I am deeply shaken, because my son has only good memories from his school days at Herlufsholm.”
Herlufsholm School and Estate photographed from drone, Wednesday 19 May 2021.
Photo: Mads Claus Rasmussen
Since then, it has taken focus that the school’s former principal Klaus Eusebius in an interview with TV 2 East told that Prince Nikolai during his time at the school had at some point been sent home to break the place’s alcohol policy.
This prompted Countess Alexandra and now also Prince Joachim to react again in a joint statement:
“As parents of a former student at Herlufsholm, we are – to put it in good Danish – furious to see our son being handed over in public by his former principal, Klaus Eusebius Jakobsen.”
“He has betrayed his student’s trust and confidentiality, and Prince Nikolai’s punishment for violating the school’s alcohol rules in his time should not be used to shift focus from the serious incidents that have recently come to light.”
Since TV 2’s documentary, the school has chosen to fire the previous principal Mikkel Kjellberg and, among other things, scrapped the old prefect scheme and made sure that the students no longer have to sleep in dormitories.