If you live in the United States and have dependent children, you can receive great financial help from the Government of Joe Biden, which will provide child tax credits, which are part of the American Rescue Plan. If you still don’t know how to access one or the requirements that you must meet, do not worry that we will detail it below.
Before we specified that the Child Tax Credit seeks to help families with qualifying children to obtain a tax benefit. You may be able to claim the credit even if you don’t regularly file a tax return.
WHAT IS THE AMOUNT YOU WILL RECEIVE FOR THE CHILD TAX CREDIT?
For tax year 2021, the Child Tax Credit was increased; so, eligible families with children under age 6 could receive up to $3,600 per childwhile the households with children whose ages fluctuate from 6 to 17 years would correspond to 3,000 dollars.
Half of the checks were delivered from July to December 2021, while the other part is made this 2022, here are the citizens who did not collect the monthly payments and were scheduled for this year, as required by the Tax Service Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
It should be noted that the credit is less for single-parent families earning more than $75,000 and married couples earning more than $150,000; that is, all families below those income levels will receive the full amount.
WHO CAN RECEIVE UP TO US$3,600?
Taxpayers who can collect the Child Tax Credit of up to $3,600 will be those who filed their tax return for the year 2021, whose deadline expired on October 17.
If in case you did not do it until that established moment, you could claim it by presenting the declaration that you made after that date, but yes, it is possible that the amount is less, since fines would be applied
Now, if you belong to the group that is not required to file a tax return due to your income, you can request the credit until November 17, 2022.
REQUIREMENTS TO RECEIVE THE CHILD TAX CREDIT
Most families with children under the age of 18 are eligible for the Child Tax Credit. To do this, you must meet certain requirements:
- To receive the full amount of money: earn less than $75,000 as a single parent, or $150,000 as a married couple.
- You will receive part of the credit: if you earn less than $240,000 as a parent, or $440,000 as a married couple.
- You must have lived in the United States for more than six months in 2021.
- The child for whom you request the credit must be your son, your grandson, your brother, your nephew or your great-nephew. Foster relatives, adoptive relatives, and half-relatives also qualify.
- Your child needs a Social Security Number (SSN). If you are the parent, you need an SSN or Personal Identification Number (ITIN).
- Your child must be under the age of 18 at the end of 2021; that is, having been born on or after January 1, 2004.
- Your child must have lived with you for at least six months in 2021.
- Your child must not be financially independent, which means they cannot have paid more than half of their own living expenses.
IMPORTANT: Not only parents have the right to request credit for their children, but also people who are not parents and who spend more time with the child.
HOW TO COLLECT THE MORTGAGE CREDIT FOR CHILDREN?
- To collect the Child Tax Credit (CTC) you must file a tax return. If it is only for the CTC and the third stimulus payment you can use the getCTC.
- Also, to file a complete tax return to claim the CTC and all other tax benefits to which you are entitled, you can use GetYourRefund.
- Whether or not you received monthly CTC payments last year, and whether or not you received taxes in past years or at all, you must also file a tax return this year to get your CTC payments.
- If you received monthly payments in advance in 2021, you can file a tax return to get the rest of your payments, which are typically $1,800 per younger child and $1,500 per older child.) If you didn’t receive monthly payments in 2021, then you can file a tax return to get your total CTC payments, depending on $3,600 per minor child and $3,000 per older child.
Remember that to claim the credit you can do it until November 17, 2022 for free through the IRS using Free Filea tool that helps people whose income is $73,000 or less file a return online for free.
You can also enter the portal Child Tax Credit that guides you in Spanish to make a simple tax return.
HOW TO AVOID TAX CREDIT SCAMS WITH CHILDREN?
The IRS asks everyone to be on the lookout for scammers trying to use advance payments of the Child Tax Credit as an excuse to steal personal information and money.
Therefore, keep in mind that the IRS does not initiate contact via email, text messages, or social media channels to request personal or financial information, including information related to advance payments of the Child Tax Credit.
In addition, you should be wary of emails with attachments or links that claim to have special information about Child Tax Credit advance payments or Child Tax Credit refunds. If you get one, see Report Phishing and Online Scams To obtain additional information, you need the same website.