Macaulay Culkin immortalized Kevin McCallister with the debut of the classic ‘They forgot me’, in 1990 – and of course the success wouldn’t take long to yield a sequel.
Two years later, ‘Forgot Me 2 – Lost in New York’, arrived in American cinemas with a plot very similar to the first film, but now set in New York, as the title points out. Marking the return of names as Joe Pesci, Daniel Stern e Catherine O’Hara, the story follows Kevin, who loses his father at the airport and takes a plane to New York, while his entire family goes to Florida. Now, alone in the big city, the boy finds a way to stay at the Hotel Plaza and starts playing his antics. But when Kevin discovers the plot of two thugs to rob a toy store on Christmas Eve, he tries to stop the robbery.
Despite mixed reviews, the performances of the leading and supporting cast were praised by experts – and the feature became the 3rd largest financial income of the year, with $359 million at the world box office.
To celebrate 29 years of the work, we have prepared a brief list with some backstage trivia, which you can see below:
- Culkin received the huge amount of US$4.5 million to reprise his role in the sequel – the highest salary for an eleven-year-old actor at the time.
- The “pigeon attack” sequence was shot on March 25, 1992. According to Pesci, the production covered him and Stern with real bird seeds and about three hundred pigeons.
- After a certain sequence, Culkin asked Pesci why he never smiles. Pesci told him to shut up. At the time, Pesci commented: “he was spoiled a lot by a lot of people, but not by me – and I think he likes that”.
- All child extras who appeared on the toy store scene were able to take home their favorite toys as part of their salary. Although it didn’t work and was created specifically as a prop, Culkin was able to keep Talkboy.
- The director Chris Columbus remembers that the production spent a lot of money to create artificial snow for Central Park – and, shortly thereafter, New York was the target of a heavy blizzard.
- O’Hara was concerned that her character, Kate, wasn’t trying hard enough to find Kevin. For that, extra scenes were added to the film. O’Hara commented that he practiced his “sadness and guilt” face at home.
- A Entertainment Weekly hired a real doctor to analyze the real effects of injuries to Harry (Pesci) and Marv (Stern). According to the expert, bricks falling on Marv’s head would have caused “at best, brain damage; at worst, death”.
- The pool scene was shot in Four Seasons, in Chicago, because the Hotel Plaza didn’t have one.
- The hotel operator Kevin makes the reservation with, pretending to be his father, was played by Monica Devereux-Columbus, wife of Chris Columbus.
- In several interviews, Columbus commented that he considers ‘Forgot Me 2’ much better than the original movie.