Crown Prince Frederik to BT: ‘It is an unfortunate situation’

Crown Prince Frederik is now reacting further to the situation around Herlufsholm boarding school.

“It’s an unfortunate situation,” he told BT

On Thursday evening, Crown Prince Frederik will be the guest of honor at a dinner at the Langeline Pavilion in Copenhagen in connection with the upcoming climate summit in November.

When he arrives and greets, among others, Climate Minister Dan Jørgensen, BT briefly has the opportunity to ask Crown Prince Frederik if he is satisfied with the changes that have taken place at Herlufsholm boarding school since TV 2’s documentary recently revealed a violent culture among the students.

“It is an unfortunate situation, which we have already commented on, and I have nothing more to add to it,” it sounded from Crown Prince Frederik before he went in for dinner.

See his answer in the video above.

Earlier Thursday evening, the Royal House’s press manager Lene Balleby gave a comment tenl TV2.dk about the press’ questions about whether the Crown Prince Couple’s children should continue to go to school.

»There are many who ask about the Crown Prince Couple’s attitude to their children’s future at Herlufsholm. I can only repeat that for the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, it is crucial that not only their own child, but all the children and young people who go to school, can feel safe in their schooling, “it read.


Princess Isabella, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary pose for photography after Princess Isabella has been confirmed in Fredensborg Castle Church in Fredensborg, Saturday 30 April 2022 .. (Photo: Philip Davali / Ritzau Scanpix)

Princess Isabella, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary pose for photography after Princess Isabella has been confirmed in Fredensborg Castle Church in Fredensborg, Saturday 30 April 2022 .. (Photo: Philip Davali / Ritzau Scanpix)
Photo: Philip Davali

show more

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary have not yet made a public decision on whether their children should continue to go to school, but stated in a joint comment on the Royal House’s social media:

“As parents, we expect the school to effectively ensure a culture where everyone is safe and part of the community, and we will in the coming time follow the changes that are obviously necessary,” it read, among other things.

16-year-old Prince Christian started in 1st grade at Herlufsholm last summer, just as his little sister Princess Isabella is set to start in 9th grade at school after the summer holidays.

Previously, their cousin Prince Nikolai went to Herlufsholm boarding school, and TV 2’s documentary initially made his mother, Countess Alexandra, report the following to BT:

“I am deeply shaken, because my son has only good memories from his school days at Herlufsholm.”

Since then, it has taken focus that the school’s former principal Klaus Eusebius in an interview with TV 2 East told that Prince Nikolai during his time at the school had at some point been sent home to break the place’s alcohol policy.

This prompted Countess Alexandra and now also Prince Joachim to react again in a joint statement:

“As parents of a former student at Herlufsholm, we are – to put it in good Danish – furious to see our son being handed over in public by his former principal, Klaus Eusebius Jakobsen.”


Herlufsholm boarding school a little outside Næstved.

Herlufsholm boarding school a little outside Næstved.
Photo: Asger Ladefoged

show more

They continued:

“He has betrayed his student’s trust and confidentiality, and Prince Nikolai’s punishment for violating the school’s alcohol rules in his time should not be used to shift focus from the serious incidents that have recently come to light.”

Since TV 2’s documentary, the school has chosen to fire the previous principal Mikkel Kjellberg and, among other things, scrapped the old prefect scheme and made sure that the students no longer have to sleep in dormitories.

Leave a Comment