Ambikapur (Naiduniya Representative). The first high school of the divisional headquarter Ambikapur and presently the school operating in the name of Government Multi-Purpose Higher Secondary School will now become Swami Atmanand Utkrisht Hindi Medium School. Following the announcement of Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel, as per the instructions of Collector Sanjeev Kumar Jha, necessary preparations have been started by District Education Officer Dr. Sanjay Kumar Guhe. The District Education Officer informed that the existing Multipurpose Higher Secondary School would be developed as an excellent Hindi medium school on the lines of Swami Atmanand Excellent English Medium School as per the instructions of the State Government. For this, state-of-the-art facilities of study will be made available without any change in the external structure of the school. The interiors of the classrooms will be repaired, painted, furniture, state-of-the-art laboratory and other facilities will be there. He informed that at present, classes are being conducted in the school in Hindi medium of Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education and English medium of CBSE Board from class VI to XII.
School started with 24 students-
This first high school in Surguja region was started in the year 1914, then the number of students was 24. Due to the limited scope of education, there was a lot of difficulty in getting recognition. The present Government Multipurpose School was known as Edward High School from 1914 to 1955. Edward High School was initially affiliated to the Allahabad Board and later to the Nagpur Board. The students here had to appear in the examination from the Raipur center. The operation of the school was conducted in a two-storey building in the present Municipal Corporation Higher Secondary School premises. But due to the damage caused by the earthquake, a new building was built from there at the present place.
School building of ‘E’ shape of English-
The present building of Government Multi-Purpose Higher Secondary School is built in ‘E’ shape of English, which is under the supervision of Engineer CP Verma of Surguja State, Maharaja Late. It was done by Ramanuj Sharan Singhdev. The school was inaugurated by the then Yuvraj Ambikeshwar Sharan Singhdeo on 11 November 1946. After the formation of Madhya Pradesh, in 1955, Shansan implemented the Multipurpose Scheme, since then its name has become Government Edward Multi Higher Secondary School.
Students made identity at national-international level-
The students of this school have increased the reputation of the school by making their mark at the national and international level. The students here have been Regents of Boston University, Magadha University, Bodh Gaya, International Poets, Parliamentarians, Scientists, Judges, IPS, Coaches and International Players of America.