A septuagenarian dies on a stretcher in the emergency room of Saint-Malo

A drama. On November 17, a 71-year-old man was taken to the emergency room of the Saint-Malo hospital center (Ille-et-Vilaine) by firefighters. He was placed on a stretcher awaiting treatment. After three hours of waiting, he died in the halls of the hospital.

“No priority support needed”

In a statement released Tuesday evening, hospital management said the patient was admitted at 8:53 p.m., conscious. “He was then able to benefit from the first investigative examinations from 10 p.m., which did not identify no priority support needed“, she specifies.

During this night, the activity in the emergency room was sustained, but usual over this period. The number of medical and paramedical personnel in the emergency department was complete.

The septuagenarian was pronounced dead at midnight. A death “as happens a thousand each year at the Saint-Malo hospital”, underlines the management, which immediately alerted the authorities. “We seized the permanence of the Public Prosecutor’s Office, which ordered an autopsy. An act that we also wanted on our side, both for the understanding of the circumstances of the death, by our teams, and to be able to enlighten the family and loved ones of the deceased“, continues the management.

A context of strike pointed out

According to information gathered by our colleagues from France 3the death of this patient aroused a strong emotion in the ranks of the staff (source 1). This tragedy indeed occurred in a tense context: an “unlimited” strike was started on November 2 by the nursing staff – who still continue to work.

For its part, the health, safety and working conditions committee (CHSCT) has established that a “serious and imminent danger“was in progress at the hospital. According to information from our colleagues, 70 positions are vacant in all hospital departments.

The Management of the establishment and the staff of the CH of Saint-Malo send their sincere condolences to the family of the deceased, and remain at their entire disposal. The investigation is ongoing, and the hospital believes “it would be premature and completely inappropriate to make any connection whatsoever with the current emergency situation“.

Leave a Comment