“It’s a strong emotion, a mixture of sadness and anger.” The canine sports and leisure federation (FSLC) indicates on its Facebook page on Sunday that the second day of the French canicross championship is canceled. The reason ? At least three dogs are said to have died over the weekend after eating poisoned meatballs, and a fourth is in serious condition, reports France 3.
An “abject and criminal” gesture
“The whole federation is in shock. We have a thought for the dogs who left us following an abject criminal act that put poisoned meatballs on the site. (…) The most beautiful dog party is ruined, ”writes the FSLC, which indicates that it has filed a complaint. She also reports that a “large device” of gendarmerie as well as the public prosecutor are on the spot.
A dog from the Caudry club in northern France is among the victims. “It should have been a weekend of joy and sharing!!! But human stupidity decided otherwise!!! The whole club joins me in expressing our immense sadness at the tragic death of PALMA… Companion of Yannick and his family. A thought for all our members who are on site. A big support also for competitors who have lost their companions. Much courage to all in these difficult times, ”wrote the club on its Facebook page.
According to the Midi Libre, a product intended to eliminate slugs was placed in the meatballs, which were then placed throughout the route. The town hall of Vauvert denounced “a criminal, cowardly and abominable act” and also filed a complaint.